Tips on Receiving Deliverance
There are a lot of teachings out there on how to perform an exorcism, but not so many with tips on how to receive one. If you know what can hold up or derail a deliverance you can go in equipped to receive and your chances of getting your freedom can significantly improve.
- Build up your soul by feeding on quality sermons such as the audio sermons on this website by James Brandt or some of the others I get really fed by include Andrew Wommack, Joseph Prince, and Dr Jim Richards. Just as your body needs to be food nourishing food in order to have strength, so also your soul needs to be feed quality organic food of the Word as well. Having a strong healthy soul makes a person a much better receiver in the areas of healing and deliverance.
- Be ready to give up ungodly desires because sometimes demons will give you something you actually like or desire. For example, sexual perversion spirits can really appeal to somebody who has given in to them and if the person enjoys their demon, it will be very difficult if not impossible to get it out of them. You cannot get rid of a demon that you want to keep!
- If you should hear something in your head while receiving deliverance, tell the minister about it. Often demons will speak into the person’s mind if they are not strong enough (or bold enough) to take control of their mouth and speak directly through them. Knowing what the demons is saying can be valuable to the minister to help you get free; it can help clue him into what is going on and helps bring the demon out into the light where his power is weakened.
- If you should ever feel something in your body like a pain, a pressure, or movement, tell the minister. Anything like headaches or confusion also are good for the minister to know about. This gives the minister insight into what is going on and the more the demon is brought into the light, the faster it will be ready to leave.
- Do you feel worthy to be free? Or do you feel like you somehow deserve your demons? You need to have a firm foundation of your faith in the forgiveness of your sins because otherwise you can feel unworthy to be totally delivered. A revelation of the forgiveness of your sins through the Blood of Christ is foundational to receiving and maintaining your freedom.
- What do you believe about being delivered? One time I was really trying hard to get deliverance but for some reason nobody could cast the demons out. That night the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said, “You don’t really believe you will ever be free”… the following day an exorcist friend of mine said “are you ready?” and the demons practically exploded and came pouring out. They were held in place by a simple lie that I was believing!
- How do you perceive God’s nature and heart toward you? The Bible tells us that he who comes to Him must believe He is a rewarded of those who seek Him. If you don’t believe God’s heart is to deliver you, it can be very hard to receive the gift of freedom.
- I have found that some ministers can be really good at exorcism but fail at times to get certain demons out, only to turn to another minister who may be much less experienced and they send that demon packing. Never give up! If your minister can’t seem to help, you might want to seek help from others. Never be unthankful for a minister trying his best to help you as there are few of us out there and those who have experience are rare and precious and often overloaded with ministry requests. All I am saying is that some people can help certain folks better than others can and there’s a lot that goes into that, including life experiences of the minister, and the experiences he/she has had in the past while ministering.
- Unsurrendered areas of your life can affect your faith because they can make you feel unworthy to trust in God. Start by praying “Holy Spirit, I invite you into these areas of my life and heart. I ask that you will do what you need to so that I can surrender these areas of my heart.”
God ALWAYS wants to see us get set free. The problem is never on His end. There are things like the above which we can do that can really help make us good receivers for the freedom God has for us.